Saturday, April 30, 2011

Salt Water Taffy Process

     I am almost three quarters of the way finished with Salt Water Taffy Vol. 5, Caldera's Revenge Part 2. For those of you who got and liked Part 1, thank you and rest assured, Part 2 is on its way quickly. Here is a spoiler free example of an exciting panel in process.

 I first begin with the pencils. For this kind of thing I tend to pencil loosely knowing I will be filling in the detail during the inking process. Actually I do this with all my pages, but for things like foliage, background scenery, and water I work particularly loose.

Here is the beginning of the inks. I work right to left because I am left handed. This way I am less likely to smudge my ink. I actually did the water's splash line first to establish it as foreground so I don't ink into it by accident.

I've now worked my way over to the left of the page finishing the smashed ship with debris. I keep the parts of the ship closest to the water darker give it weight and make it recede.

I've now filled in the detail of the tail along with the first layer of splash water. I've been blocking out larger areas of dark for the whale this time around, both to better describe the form, and to quicken up how long it takes for the craggy detail of his skin.

And the finished panel! It all got a little busy when I filled in the water but because I left out any background I think it works. It looks very violent and almost jarring, which is what I wanted.

     Well, I hope enjoyed this look into my process of comicing. And I promise you won't have to wait too long for vol. 5.

1 comment:

David Trowbridge said...

Matt, looks great! Are you still using only those small brushes for all of your inking work?